Sunday 24 August 2014

To Heart and Taemin: why we shouldn't compare them

Apologies first up for this post in general because I'm frustrated and it's never a good idea to post anything when you're angry, but I guess it's too late now. Also I'm very aware that most people haven't engaged in comparing Taemin and Kibum so just enjoy the read in that case ^.^ I have a bit of time to sit down at a computer and I wanted to write this because it's something I feel like I'm in a really really good position to make comment on. I was in the really blessed and fortunate position that I was in between work contracts during the To Heart promotions earlier this year and the Kpop gods showed equal divine providence by blessing me with summer holidays the same time as Taemin's Danger promotions. So up until now I went to every single To Heart recording bar 1 and every single Taemin Danger recording bar 1. I missed an Inkigayo recording because there was someone being a total douchebag asshole and a lot of SHAWols didn't get to go in because that person caused so much trouble. I'll explain that more later though. And I didn't go to Taemin's Arirang recording last Monday morning because it was on the other side of the city, really really early and only allowed 100 people in.


So I've seen a lot of people commenting on how To Heart got a lot less love than Taemin's solo and the point I want to make, first and foremost, is that they are two entirely different things. Honestly, I'm going to speak about this from my side of things at recordings, which very well might have been a little different to how the support was distributed online via Tumblr/Twitter amonst English speakers. Honestly though I think the root of support can sometimes come from the Korean side of things. A lot of the posts you see going around on Tumblr and Twitter asking you to remember to hashtag and download and stream at certain places to help Taemin win on music shows are translated from Korean posts or written by someone with Korean speaking ability or with the help of someone who can read Korean. Also a lot of English speaking Korean fans will utilize their ability to explain things in English in order to gain the strength of the English speaking portion of our fandom. I think people have this idea that there's a very clean cut line between English speaking fans and Korean fans or I-fans vs. K-fans (I hate saying I vs. K because really the barriers in our fandoms are based on language so we should split fandom as English speaking fans, Chinese speaking fans, Korean speaking fans, Japanese speaking fans etc.) That's not always the case. As time goes on the language overlaps are beginning to blur the split between language groups within our fandom. So the reaction to To Heart vs. Danger within fandom in general as English speakers and Korean speakers might not be as different as we think.

First up I need to lay it out: I'm a Key fan. I have a huge OT5 love though. I was talking to my friend about this yesterday and I think there are 4 types of fans in general.

OT5 fans who loves every single member of SHINee and would rather cut off a limb than chose one

OT5 + bias fans who love every single member of SHINee but will choose 1 member slightly over the others.

개인팬 or a personal fan who likes just one member of SHINee and doesn't feel particularly strongly for any of the others

And there's this peculiar little group of people who love and adore 3 or 4 members of SHINee, sometimes even just two of them, and either hate or dislike the others. I mean...I don't want to judge anyone for how they fangirl but this confuses me hugely. How to hate any member of SHINee, seriously?

Anyway that was probably an unnecessary side blab, but I have to say I'm the OT5 + Key bias species of SHINee fangirl so I LOVED To Heart.  To Heart was one of the greatest things that ever happened to me...and one of the worst things that ever happened to me. 

I didn't write about this on twitter at the time of To Heart and I wasn't keeping a blog then. I've though about writing about it since, but figured it was best just to keep my mouth shut. But given what's being said about the Taemin vs. To Heart support levels I figured it might be a good idea to give everyone a little context. To Heart promotions were absolute hell. I was constantly tired and upset and stressed. 

I mentioned this briefly but the first week of To Heart promotions we had combined lines with Inspirits and SHAWols. Now lining up for recordings as a SHAWol sucks balls on a normal day. I don't have official membership which means even though more often than not I'm at the venue of recordings the day before to get my name on the waiting list, I will never ever go into a recording first because I don't have an official SHINee World membership and it is TOTALLY impossible to get one at this point in time. Now what this system means when you add Inspirits to the mix is that I, as an unofficial SHINee fan, was totally fucked. Inspirit fan membership opens every year. Every Inspirit and their dog has Inspirit membership. And every single girl that has a fanclub membership gets in first. Which means that if only a certain amount of fans get into the recording and the back half of the line is cut, there are going to be a small handful of SHINee fans outnumbered by the ocean of Infinite fans. And being cut is a constant worry when you go to recordings. It was our absolute worst nightmare to think of Kibum performing on stage without any fans to cheer for him. It made me sick to the stomach to imagine Key performing and only a handful of people cheering for him while hundreds of Inspirits scream and cheer for Woohyun. I had nightmares about it, it was such a terrible concept. 

Now the reason this worried me so much was because the Inspirits were not impressed by Key and Woohyun collaborating. If I'm honest, SHAWols weren't particularly impressed with the idea either. The best thing I can liken it too is something like Romeo and Juliet: they love each other and want to be together but both their families hate each other and think their child is too good for the other. Honestly I had no opinion about Woohyun before To Heart. I just thought of him as that kid that Kibum hangs out with. I didn't have any interest in Infinite's music or them, but I didn't actively dislike them either. I'm only human though and after being forced to spend time with Inspirits for weeks of recordings I can't stand to even look at Infinite now. The first recording I went to, I can't speak for the rest of the SHAWols but I was pumped and ready to cheer my lungs out. We were given the fanchant and there's a section at the end of the chorus where Key sings a line and we shout: KIM KIBUM and Woohyun sings a line and we shout NAM WOOHYUN. To my absolute horror when we went inside the Inspirits were absolutely shrieking their lungs out whenever Woohyun appeared and then falling silent when Key stepped forward. And then when it came to the part where we would shout Kibum and Woohyun's names, stupid naive little me, screamed KIM KIBUM and NAM WOOHYUN. The Inspirits kept their mouths stubbornly sealed shut for Kibum's name and screamed until their eyeballs were popping for Woohyun's name. Not only that but I over heard Inspirits calling SHAWols horrible names and even insulting Key. While they were standing in the studio. Now all this cheering is edited no doubt so the discrepencies no doubt don't come out in the broadcasts, but the important part was that if their was a marked difference in cheering, Key would hear it.

Don't get me wrong, SHAWols weren't impressed with Infinite either. But they didn't talk about it publicly. They didn't badmouth Woohyun where his fans could hear and in that first recording they cheered for Woohyun AND Key. I remember coming out of the studio and lining up again to go back in for the Tell Me Why recording later in the day. I was pretty upset and furious and there were a group of Inspirit girls in front of me that were laughing and showing each other photo shopped photos from the To Heart photoshoot where they'd edited Woohyun's face over Key's. I was so pissed off. I can take being insulted personally and I have more than I would ever have liked to, but seeing these stupid little girls talk shit about Key when they knew nothing about him made me so mad. When we went into the second recording, the SHAWols were so furious they screamed their lungs out for Key, stubbornly making sure Key's cheering was louder than Woohyun's. After that first weekend and a lot of subtle negotitating from the SHAWol's to the fanstaff, Woohyun and Key's lines were split so that Inspirits and SHAWols lined up separately. It made the recordings a little more bearable but there was still the constant rivalry which I will readily admit was not healthy, nor was it very mature of us. 

Inspirits automatically congregated on the right side of the studio and SHAWols would go left. We would make two single file lines and then go in side by side with an Inspirit. They would push and try and cut in front of me sometimes, but SHAWols around me would always ask the girls to step back into their place in line. Not everything was totally horrible though. I shouldn't paint it like all the Inspirits were evil and SHAWols were angels because that's certainly not how it was. I met a few Inspirits who would routinely find me whenever they got a Kibum photocard and trade me for any Woohyun cards I had. We would help each other find Kibum or Woohyun photocards from the different fan groups. There were a lot of sweet, kind girls amongst the Inspirits, who were unfortunately lumped with some bad seeds. I'm sure there were some SHAWols who were not particularly impressed with Inspirits who might have said or done something horrible, but I never saw it.

There was an incident a lot of you probably heard about where Kibum was coming out of a late night recording on Sunday night with Woohyun and the Inspirits waiting outside rushed Woohyun and shoved and pushed Key so he was thrown around and ended up forced against the side of the van before the manager could fight his way through the crazy and get to him. And SHAWols at the time were furious because while Kibum was being shoved around by crazy Inspirits (once again I should point out only the girls involved are guilty of this bs) they always hang back and allow Kibum enough room to move so none of them had moved forward or were able to protect him. There was also a few rumors that Woohyun was too busy smiling and waving and accepting fan letters to notice Key was in trouble, but I wasn't there so I'd hesitate to say this was the truth necessarily. All though from what I did see of Woohyun, he's unusually interactive with fans, to the point that it sometimes made it hard for PDs to get his attention when it was needed.

The crux of the situation was at one of the Sunday Inkigayo recordings where a large number of SHAWols were denied access to the recording because of an Inspirit. Since the lines were being split, it meant that there was always an equal amount of Key fans and Woohyun fans in the room. Which meant that Inspirit fan membership meant less and it was harder for the average Infinite fan to get at the beginning of the line. There were truly hundreds and hundreds of fans that came for To Heart. Maybe we didn't emphasize enough at the time but A LOT of Key fans would come to recordings. But a lot of Woohyun fans came as well and some of them figured it would be easier to get in via the Key line because very few people have official membership in SHINee. So they could add their name to the Key list and if they came early enough go in straight after the official SHAWols, who numbered much less than the unofficial SHAWols. Some of them even had old SHAWol official cards from when SHINee debuted. Our fan staff aren't stupid though so they began doing checks of people's phones to make sure you weren't lying and using the SHINee line. They would check galleries and make sure that there were SHINee pictures in there and not Infinite. 

Anyway earlier in the week at KBS they'd had an open Sukira concert that To Heart had performed at. The event was ticketed and you were forbidden from taking photos but....since when has that ever stopped the fan sites OTL? A Woohyun fan was caught taking photos, I don't know if she was a fansite or just a fan, but she was kicked from the venue and apparently caused a huge commotion while she was at it. This same fan showed up in the SHINee line. Now I'm not too sure about this, but what I was hearing was that she was a former SHINee fan. She'd applied for official membership in 2009 and since moved onto the Infinite fandom. But obviously she dug her old SHAWol membership out to try and get further up the line and therefore closer to the stage. She was recognized and asked to leave the SHAWol line by our fanstaff. She proceeded to cause a huge commotion, screaming and insisting she was a SHAWol. She refused to leave or move to the Infinite line and harassed our fanstaff continuously. Eventually it came time for SHAWols to enter the venue and because of the huge commotion caused by this girl, security got frustrated and only allowed 50 SHAWols into the room. From memory there were about 150 Inspirits. It was our worst nightmare come true. I was so upset because I was cut by only a few people and it was all because of 1 stupid, selfish Inspirit. 

On top of everything else, Inspirits were caught tweeting at Jonghyun afterwards, because there was so many bad feelings between SHAWols and Inspirits at this point, badmouthing SHAWols. I can't remember the exact tweets, but I remember one asking Jonghyun to take control of his SHAWol bitches or something equally horrible. Apparently the girl responsible for disrupting the line apologized via her twitter, but I didn't even care to read that crap. 

The next week at the Inkigayo recording was the infamous day that EXO fans were caught taking photos inside the live performance and lied and said they were SHAWols. We were almost banned from Kibum's last To Heart recording if our truly fearsome Key fansite girls hadn't tracked down exactly who the girls were and forced them to confess to being EXO fans. I won't get into that because it gives me a headache just thinking about it, but basically To Heart promos were a lot more stressful and horrid than they had to be. Add to that Inspirits and SHAWols have traditionally not gotten along ever. From what I've heard Inspirits were angry that SHINee got so much love and attention right from debut, while Infinite got a pretty average response to begin with this. Nevermind the online bad mouthing and general shittiness that went down throughout this entire period. 

This is why the K-fan side of things might not have been as invested in To Heart as they are in Taemin's solo. Nevermind the fact they don't like Woohyun, being forced to collaborate with an opposing fandom was what made the whole thing so stressful and dramatic. There was absolutely no warning they were going to drop that collaboration on us either other than rumors and Key had never expressed any desire to do a side music project so no one was mentally prepared for the shit show that ensued.

I know a lot of people who actively chose to not participate in To Heart promotions because they didn't approve of Woohyun but I've also heard a surprising amount of people express disapproval of Taemin's solo so we can't say that only Key suffered in that respect. Personally I greatly dislike Woohyun but that didn't stop me supporting Key and I also was very very nervous about the concept of a Taemin solo, but again that hasn't stopped me from killing myself to support him all week. I don't write all this to excuse anyone or to make Inspirits all look like evil demons, but I really do want people to understand how truly heinous To Heart promotions were to attend. Nevermind the completely awkward interaction I had with Woohyun at the fansign (I try to like him, I really do, but I think I'm just a horrible person or something because I can't).

As for the circumstance surrounding the To Heart promotions; Delicious from the album cover to the sound smelt of Woolim/Infinite. All the tracks had a very Infinite feel and for SHINee fans who are attracted to the SM/SHINee aesthetic it was a less digestible musical experience. Even the style of promotion stunk of Woolim. So to everyone pointing fingers at SM (as usual) the reason To Heart was promoted so differently from Danger, is because I strongly suspect Woolim was in charge of a lot of what To Heart did. The project was proposed by Woolim's side and so it makes sense that they would be responsible for the promotions. I also strongly suspect there was a lot of weird business politics involved in this venture because a SHINee(SM)/Infinite(Woolim) project collaboration popping up not long after SM buys out Woolim makes it hugely likely there was....something going down behind the scenes.

Furthermore anyone who's read a decent amount of SHINee interviews and followed them closely enough knows that Taemin's been really passionate about the idea of a solo for a long time and Kibum hasn't necessarily expressed the same desires. He said clearly during To Heart promotions that he and Woohyun did To Heart as a collaboration project to try something new and do something fun together. Key has also expressed desires to act in dramas and musicals and do variety programs. Kibum is a jack of all trades; he's completely phenomenal at everything he puts his mind too and works hard to be that way. He in some ways can be seen as a perfect Idol because he can do a wide variety of things very well. And Key, more than any member of SHINee, revels in the idol lifestyle. All evidence points to him enjoying trying new things and various projects and in a way, To Heart provided a launch pad for Kibum to move onto bigger and brighter things. The media coverage during To Heart was heavily focused on Key and he did well in various interviews and appearances to the point where he was cast on a slew of variety shows following To Heart, including his permanent MC spot on 별바라기. Kibum also seems to have found a passion for musicals which he's exploring a lot now. Not to mention his monthly Fashion shoot in Celebrity magazine.

SM on the other hand is 100% responsible for Taemin's project. It's an SM project that Jonghyun, Changmin and Kai at least were very actively involved in. Taemin worked his butt off to get that solo though and everyone knew it. So SM Town got behind him and the only reason this is super obvious is because Taemin debuted at SM Town. If To Heart had debuted at SM Town I'm sure Key would have gotten just as much love and support from his label mates as Taemin did. I've also heard people say it was sad because Key had to keep To Heart a secret, while Taemin shared his solo with everyone, but did anyone ever consider that Key keeping To Heart a secret might have been just a little bit fun for him? He got to do a secret company endorsed project on the side which he then got to spring on everyone in it's completion. It could have been really exciting and crazy to be able to do that. Who knows really, unless your name is Kim Kibum. What I want to know is why is it that people need to twist details to make them as negative and nefarious as they possibly can? I think sometimes the thirst for drama in fandom exceeds the desire to see SHINee do well. It's beyond frustrating. Furthermore Taemin has expressed an interest in composing and song writing which Key has expressed having little interest for in the past. Taemin wants to be acknowledged as a legitimate singer, while Kibum has expressed desires in expanding his horizons in multiple directions as an artist.

And the most important thing. From about To Heart onward is the happiest I have ever seen Kibum. I went to Why So Serious promotions and felt like I was being stabbed in the heart every time I saw him. I remember saying to my friends at the time: there's something wrong with Kibum, he's not his normal self, he's acting strangely. Sure enough later it came out that Kibum's mother was having severe health problems at the time among other things. By Everybody SHINee had spent an entire year promoting almost non stop. 3 promotions in one year is completely insane on top of the hundreds of other various schedules and concerts and appearances they did. Everybody promotions had their shining moments and were complete bliss to attend but there was no denying how exhausted SHINee were the entire time. Jonghyun was injured and missing during Why So Serious and Onew was injured during Everybody, which had to have had a negative effect on their mood as a team. I hear people say that 2014 has been boring and painful for SHINee fans compared to 2013 but 2014 has been a much better year for SHINee and their personal happiness and health. Kibum was completely ecstatic the whole time he did To Heart promotions. He was glowing and him and Woohyun really are the best of friends. The sight of Inspirits and yellow makes me want to gouge my eyes out most days now, but I would kill for Woohyun just because of how happy he made Kibum during those To Heart promos. I was also part of a huge group of dedicated fans who showed up for every single one of Key's promotions. I get kind of insulted when people say the fan support has been less for To Heart than Danger because we worked really hard at those promotions to make Kibum feel like a rockstar. I realize people might be talking about the online response but still....my bruised ego OTL.

The turn out for Taemin and Key has definitely been different in numbers but I think there's a really good reason Taemin has a better turn out. First of all there have been A LOT of Japanese fans at Taemin's promotions. Taemin is phenomenally popular in Japan and it's very easy for Japanese fans to fly over to Korea for promotions. Taemin also very rarely has activities that fans are able to attend. Key, on the other hand, has been doing musicals regularly for almost three years now. Taemin expressed very explicitly in an interview that he has been waiting to go solo for TEN YEARS. He also went to a fanmeeting and was so overwhelmed and touched at the support for his highly anticipated solo that he actually cried. Can you blame people for rallying behind that cause? There's an emotional pull to Taemin's solo that just didn't exist with Keys. Key never expressed that To Heart meant anything more to him than a collaboration project with a close friend. And To Heart did well. They didn't flop, that's for sure. 

Which is one of the reasons why it makes me completely furious when I see people whining about how unfair it is and how hard done by Kibum is because Taemin's getting all this attention for Danger promotions. 

Firstly Kibum loved every second of his To Heart promotions so I hate to see his experience cheapened in any way by anyone's silly bias hang ups. Because that's what it comes down to. Every single time we have some sort of special SHINee side project you see the same asinine whining on tumblr: ah it's not fair Taemin's having a solo, it should be Jonghyun/Onew. Omfg Key's doing a sub unit with Woohyun, wtf it should be Taemin, Omygosh Taemin took over Jonghyun's singing parts in the Japanese version of replay, i'm so butthurt and blinded by my bias I can't take a second to pull my head out of bias land and be happy for someone else in SHINee. You know what? If you went up to Key right now and said: 'ah, I'm so sorry, your To Heart album wasn't supported nearly as much as Taemin's on tumblr' he would probably look at you for a long second and say: 'What are you talking about? To Heart sold thousands of copies and SHAWols were clawing at each other to get into the To Heart fansigns...Every time I appeared at an event for To Heart there were girls practically killing each other to breathe the same air as me' (I mean he wouldn't say that exactly but....you get the idea)

Secondly, don't for a second think that Kibum isn't 10,000% behind Taemin in this solo. By implying that poor Kibum must be suffering so much because he's not getting as much attention, you're contextualizing his situation in comparison to Taemin's. It's completely stupid. In what way is To Heart and Taemin's solo promotions similar in any way? There is absolutely nothing contextually similar except for Key and Taemin's shared membership in SHINee and if you think for a second Kibum is sitting at home crying because Taemin's album is getting a different reaction to his, you're disturbingly undervaluing Key's character. You also can't mistake the online fan reaction for the general public's reaction. Unfortunately most of the public discourse about Taemin in the Korean media is still this ridiculous little Taemin fairy has become a man BS. In terms of the general public I would say that Danger and Delicious are getting pretty similar levels of support. Honestly knowing the Korean general public, they would go for Delicious over Danger any day because it's catchy and happy and everything that makes K-pop so popular, while Danger, like nearly everything SHINee comes out with, is a little left field for the straight laced consumer public.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: don't feel sorry for Kibum. And don't insult their work by comparing Taemin's solo and Kibum's To Heart. It's not necessary and quite frankly I feel ill at the idea of pitching SHINee against each other. They released musically completely different tracks, they were motivated differently, they worked with different people and had different prospective outcomes. So of course the reactions were going to be different. Of course they were going to evoke different emotions in fans. I know not many people are guilty of this but please don't do them the disservice of creating negativity between their fans, creating bad rumors and contaminating what To Heart and Taemin's solo are about. Because there is one thing both projects have in common: they were things that made Key and Taemin extremely, ridiculously, stupidly happy.

EDIT
Some people brought up the response to SM The Ballad from fans as well which I think is kind of a moot point seeing as SM The Ballad was clearly a money making gimmick from SM. I think people underestimate how in tune with SHINee's desires fans can be. Jonghyun was included in SM the Ballad not because he had a strong desire and passion for that sub unit. He was included as a convenient way to promote himself. Key was included in To Heart because SM and Woolim were newly merged and wanted to do a sub unit to experiment with it's marketability among other things. Also it was Woohyun who always expressed a greater attachment to To Heart, where as Key took it as the opportunity to do something new, showcase himself and have fun with his friend. He worked hard and he enjoyed it, but his emotional investment in To Heart was not particularly passionate. Key's passion is with SHINee and his musicals (boy is it with his musicals, Key is absolutely killing it in Zorro).

Taemin has been expressing his desire to do a solo project for awhile now and even mentioned he's waited 10 years for it to amount to something. I mentioned this before, but it's really such an important reason. Fans are in tune with SHINee's desires as much as is possible given the relationship that exists. They were completely aware of how much this Solo means to Taemin and how little To Heart and SM the Ballad mean in the long run.

Also I should note that most fans I met didn't really care one way or the other that Taeyeon was included in SM The Ballad. SNSD fans were well behaved and didnt cause us any trouble so there was no issues.

9 comments:

  1. That last line >> Because there is one thing both projects have in common: they were things that made Key and Taemin extremely, ridiculously, stupidly happy. �� well-said min. They should all read your post and stop this nonsense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that every person that declares him/her a SHAWol should read this and understand once and for all that if they have a bias in SHINee they have to respect the other members as well.
    Until your post i had no idea that some people were comparing Danger to Delicious...uugghhh why are some people like this?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. after reading this, I don't really know how to feel about everything as I wasn't there for toheart's promotion as much as I am here for Taemin. not physically being there though. to be really honest, toheart is the reason why I stan woohyun so much right now, but then again when you put him as "toheart" member, Kibum got my whole attention. as a fan who only watch them performing on TV, it's hard to see what was going on behind the camera and all I could see is happy Kibum and happy Woohyun. But after reading this, I don't know....I don't feel as happy as I used to feel about them? No, I'm not blaming you though. instead I'm thanking you for writing this. It is indeed an eye-opening of what was happened during toheart's promotion. I hope inspirits and shawols could get along next time, but it is hard isn't it? anyway...I'm agree with you about people shouldn't be comparing things between toheart and delicious as they were two different styles of musics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well eonni, first i will say that i've the exzact same feel like what u felt when To heart promoted. I felt stress out, furious after the 1st announcement Kibum will have a collab project (not to mention when they promote). But at the same time, i can feel his happuness did thing with his buddy. Woohyun bring the pretty smile of him in every single activities during To heart. Kibum hugely happy and i feel content. Beside i really want to scream too bcz of...well woohyun fans to not harmed our Kibummie. Whoa To heart project bring upside down feeling (mostly furious as hell). For Taemin, im sincerely happy. Solo was his long dream. And now he can fulfilled his dream. The thing, made me really proud and not hesitated to sread my love and support for him. I cry when i read fanacc about he cried during fanmeet. He really do work his ass to achieved. My heart like a bomb when i saw his every single activity in solo. Fell like a proud mom(?) hehehe. And to saw all of members loved and supoort him in every single what they did and shawols too (u must know how the feeling^^)
    Im typical OT5+bias fan. Im key oppa bias. Im happy when he's happy and i feel anoxious when he feel too. I know when he's fine when not. That fans six sense toward bias^^ And the other hand,Im more happy as him, when i saw him smile huge happiness when he knew the others members fill with happiness. Members happiness is his. My bias happy for others, why cant i not???

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It was our absolute worst nightmare to think of Kibum performing on stage without any fans to cheer for him. It made me sick to the stomach to imagine Key performing and only a handful of people cheering for him while hundreds of Inspirits scream and cheer for Woohyun"
    Reading this, my heart hurting for kibum. But I adore u and the others for the effort to not make him feel this. Really, I would hug each of you if I can.I can see that kibum is all smiley during the promotions. Like u said, he was glowing. Kkk.. Now im sure u guys are part of the reasons.
    For taemin's solo, i wouldnt lie. i feel a bit hurt when I see the effort shawols did in RTing, hashtag, streaming MV and all to make sure his win in music shows (well,im one of them). Kekeke.. I see it all the times and its everywhere. i didnt see all these happen during Toheart. im a key bias so i pay attention to Toheart project. But blame & correct me if I miss anything. Maybe for u guys there at Korean who involved in the recording, fansign and supporting, u will feel like u are equally supporting both projects.. but for me who just relied everything on twitter,tumblr & FA, it really feels different in term of supporting from Shawols. We really going all out for taem. But reading this, I know & understand the logics better. But still, the hurt is deeeep down inside my heart. But I don’t blame anyone. Everybody has their own opinions & feelings. For me, I didnt compare their project, their project were obviously different. The sentiments caused by them are also different. Heck, even I cried when I read FA of taembb cried at the fansign. We know he RARELY cries. Taemin’s solo can also be said as one of SHINee’s accomplishment. I feel proud of him. For ToHeart, the feeling is more to happy for kibum. I never cried except the time when he pushed around by some immature & childish Inspirits. What made me comparing is the amount of effort I-fans that I know did in supporting Taemin’s solo. For K-fans and u, u did good job. But I don’t blame them. I never did anything for ToHeart too except buying album, mainly because I don’t know anything. Keke. But tq for sharing this. Ur explanation soothes my heart. Let support SHINee forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to be honest, I haven't purchased SM The Ballad because I can't bear the idea of "donate" money to members of groups that I don't love ... I bought Breath because I love Jonghyun, but the song was not suitable for Jonghyun and I don't liked it... Instead I bought the CD of Toheart why Delicious is a song that I like and his style was really suitable for Key... Unfortunately, the CD was too "Infinite", but when Key sang, the energy charge is guaranteed. Honestly I think Kibum should try a solo career because he has a special voice and could create something truly original in kpop! I believe that international fans have loved Toheart, but unfortunately the news from Korea have ruined the whole atmosphere... I have begun to avoid the news about Toheart because I was seriously uncomfortable, I wanted to support Key, but at the same time I didn't want to have anything to do with Inspirits... So I understand that the support given to Jonghyun and Key was not "extraordinary", many fans were unable to erase the fact of not being fans of Exo, Infinite, SNSD, etc. I understand that it's easier to support the album of Taemin and that it's not possible to compare the situation with that of Toheart, so about this I don't have problems ... However, I'm sorry to say it, I see a clear favouritism about Taemin... And I don't like it! I read very bad things, that made me lose faith in Shawols and SHINee... There were fans who have insulted the artistic talent of Jonghyun and Onew to raise the voice of Taemin, and this to me is unforgivable! Also hurt me the interview where Taemin said to have had for first the opportunity to have a solo album "as in SM don't usually happens" and that other members of SHINee "weren't jealous" and they "might have" in the future the possibility of doing the same thing... He DID NOT say "the members of SHINee are not jealous because they could do the same thing but they did not want to"... 10.000 interviews and no member of SHINee said to have had an offer for a solo album but to have declined this opportunity! Really??? No one has ever offered this opportunity to other members of SHINee? Why? When I realized it I cried due to anger! Another thing that hurt me was Jonghyun who continues to tweet to publicize Taemin.. He never did a thing for Key, Onew or Minho! Maybe if Jonghyun and SHINee had promoted Key with the same "passion" with which they are advertising Taemin, Shawols would have supported better Toheart (support towards Taemin is greatly increased when Jinki and Jonghyun have intervened directly urging support of Shawols, many vote in tv show and display Danger just to make happy those two)! More I followed the arrival of the album of Taemin more I read unrighteous attitudes towards other members of SHINee, from Shawols, from SM and from SHINee themselves ... And my disappointment and my anger have grown... So I haven't supported Taemin. I did not buy her CD, I haven't watched his videos and I began to ignore it. And I was so tired that I closed twitter and I deleted SHINee from the explorer bookmarks... I have taken a break from SHINee world and I'm resting... I began to follow Beast, BAP, B1A4, Vixx, etc... I had fun with Suju's comeback and in a strange way I arrived on this blog and I wanted to write what I think and I feel ... I'm not sure I'll be back in SHINee world, I am deeply disappointed by Shawols and I can't ignore how SM and Shawols seem to have favorites and treat unjustly the various members of the group ... I don't want to continue to see these injustices and I don't want to pretend that "everything is fine" because the guys smiling... SHINee are humans and only fools are always happy. Maybe I will come back to follow SHINee during the next CD or maybe I'll get lucky enough to find a group with a best fandom and a fairer Company... Sorry for my bad English!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all. I know you make this post to make people understood and describe how the situation about this matter from your point of view which is very inoncent and beautiful. But not all people have same perseption include me. Well im key bias and im kind of 개인팬 i think. yeah to be honest Im one from those all who cant afford any love for this taemin solo project things. The reason is simply the same with them who have same feeling with me. We hurt and upset about the obvious affection shawols put in this taemin project compared to toheart's period. And i know it exactly because those shawols didnt like woohyun or if we also took an example from jonghyun's SM Ballad case which also didnt near any succes- It because shawols couldnt stand/support any other group. Now if we look from this side. Which one being immature? Us who hurt and upset about this thing or most of those shawol Who act that way. I really dont mean to make any war or messing up in this fandom. Tbh i really love shawols. This fandom love and faith for shinee and solidarity strength is no joke and all universe know it. But i cant agree with you with the way you blame "us" being misunderstanding and selfish. People have their own feeling and perseption over things
    For this matter i also want to stressed that WE DONT HATE TAEMIN. I maybe didnt pay attention to taemin. But deep inside i know its not bcs i hate him. I just hate the circumstance. The boys clearly didnt have any idea over this matter afterall. They just did what they have to do for the best.
    In this case i also dont want to make key and his toheart project seems poor. Who am i kidding? We all know how 2014 is Key's year with all of his solo tv shows from wgm wich very succesful without haters, 7hhg, stargazing and all his big musical that couldnt take any rest and yeah those nonstop monthly magazine project. I personaly feel key is the most succes crazy-rich among all thw member. Also for jonghyun. He got the radio DJ imediately after SM the Ballad promotions. Everyone have their own happiness portion. so we all know there're no use to compared they themselves with each other. Now i just hope everyone understand this matter from this side. Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just...struggling to follow your logic. So what you're saying is that you, as a Key bias, don't care about Taemin's solo. And you're hurt that other SHAWols didn't care about Key in To Heart? You won't support Taemin...but you're hurt that Taemin fans/SHAWols didn't support Key? It's a thouand percent ok not to support Taemin. If you don't want to support him, that's really up to you. The problem I have is dragging Key into that mess. Because IF Key didn't get as much support as Taemin who can we really blame but Key's fans? It's not Taemin's or Key's fault that Lockets didn't go hard for To Heart (on tumblr or twitter, cause lets be honest the support in person was pretty intense). So here it is. To Heart happened. When people rally for support, I think it's fair to say that Key bias fans should have been at the spear head of that effort. But they obviously didn't get their shit together. So now it's ok for people to be upset with Taemin's solo, because the Taemin bias girls worked their butts off to rally support for him? I feel like that's what you're trying to say?

      Feel free to not support Taemin. But please don't be offended when people do the same to Key that you're doing to Taemin. Key worked his butt off on To Heart. He was doing schedules 7 days a week from dawn until past midnight every single day. And the SHAWols I know worked their butts off to support him too. And Key was happy. So, what I'm trying to say is and I mean this in the kindest way possible, don't waste your time feeling hurt. Save yourself some emotional distress.

      Honestly I didn't really want to reply to this comment in the interest of not debating, but I feel like you just expressed the exact opinion I was trying to combat in the first place. You're upset because you're comparing the response to Taemin and Key's work but then you finished off by saying that there's 'no use to compared they themselves with each other'. I really don't mean to start an arguement but I hope you can think a little more deeply about why it is exactly you're upset. Because it doesn't make much sense to me ^.^

      Delete
    2. I think her opinion is more like, "because people didn't give interest as much to Kibum before, then I wouldn't give as much for Taemin too" since Toheart happened first, right?

      Anyway, I dont have much problem in k-shawols who attended recordings and fansigns since you guys put a lot of efforts for both. But, in other kind of supports, like streaming song or MV. I dont remember k-shawols or i-shawols stream for Toheart, ever. Correct me if I am wrong. And as for MV, literally no one replay it. Look at poor Toheart MV views. No massive hashtagging coz people doesn't care. Online buzz between shawols are supports too. In terms of shawols online supports, the fact is Kibum didnt get even half the supports Taemin get. In conclusion people was like, "Nah, it's okay for Toheart if they arent winning music shows. Kibum just playing there with his BFF." I know Toheart is not like Kibum's huge dream, but he should receive as much supports since he put his efforts, no? Remember when he post in insta asking shawols to vote Toheart? I believe Kibum was happy, but obviously he deserves better.

      This is related somehow, it kinda irritate me when people said that we should blablabla to Taemin since he works his butt off. Is he the only one working his butt off in SHINee? Is other members lazying in dorm all these years? Stop highlighting him like he is the only one who's working hard. Other members are working hard too eventho they didnt show it through their face or their words. Over appreciation for Taemin is like a disease in shawols (and obviously SM). I remember the comments from article when OT4 sans Onew performed, Kibum covered every Onew's line amazingly except one long note coz he has part right after that. Taemin only covered that one long note but shawols praised him like crazy. I was hurt deeply coz, again, people never care for Kibum, again, people under appreciate him.

      All in all since I also love ot5 aside from Key. I just dislike everything in fandom that happened these days very much. And I also appreciate you for everything you share in twitter and this blog. Thank you so much for that..

      Delete